cape wrath trail gear

I even got to use the one with short sleeves which was a surprise! I generally chuck all my wet gear in one porch and use the other to cook. Thermarest NeoAir Hiking in wet snow while wearing trail runners at elevation is unpleasant, but these socks are insulated, in addition to being waterproof. I used the Inov-8 Roclite G 345 GTX boots last year when I walked 1,200 miles from Land’s End to John O’Groats.I got on well with them, even though the uppers were shredded by the end. There are a couple of differences worth noting compared to my 2013 TGO Challenge Gear list. Still, it’s nice to have Smartphone apps with GPS-encoded maps, so I can check my position and view maps on the phone that I don’t want to carry. The Cape Wrath is also reasonably long for such a lightweight jacket. Gaiters Kahtoola lightweight crampons My current pair are bog standard Berghaus. The rest is down to personal choice. This was an improvement, but offered very little ankle support and disintergrated quite severely in some places after only a couple of weeks of use. It is a number of mapped routes through the western highlands between Fort William and Cape Wrath, following a mix of high and low quality jeep tracks, high quality footpaths, faint use paths, and off trail travel. Required fields are marked *. Marketing has played a strong role in making us feel like what we have is inadequate, prodding us to buy the latest wonder gear. The Cape Wrath Trail takes you to beaches, ... On the pathless boggy sections, where under full gear you will be sinking up to your ankles with each step, there is some of the most challenging walking anywhere in this country. My kit list for The Cape Wrath Trail was very minimal, comparing more to … I've never really found a gaiter that I've got on with. Come on this hike properly prepared. I’ll be using it with an Evernew 2L bottle which has a gusseted bottom, so it stands up by itself. Trying to find replacement socks in small towns in Scotland is a nightmare! HYDRO-BLU WATER FILTERS: Save 10% OFF siteiwde at HydroBlu.com with code 'SAVE10TODAY'. I also like the fact that PH Designs are a small, British manufacturer, something it's good to support. There’s also a lot of fire danger from open flames. One other point to consider is that in snow and freezing conditions, velcro stops functioning well. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. BACKCOUNTRY.COM: New Year's Discounts: Save up to 60% Off Best-Sellers at Backcountry.com! Philip Werner Gear Lists, Scotland. It’s also fairly safe to use in a tent since it doesn’t create a fireball when lit, provided that you have excellent ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Sleeping Pad, Feathered Friends Flicker 40 Quilt Sleeping Bag, HydroBlu Versa Flow Water Filter w/CNOC Reservoir, Waterproof, Good volume for extra food carry, Single Wall DCF Pyramid Tent w/ Stuff Sack. backpacking, cape wrath trail, Gear, planning, scotland This will be my first extended backpacking trip, so I thought it worthy of a discussion on the kit I will be taking with me. Most of it has been tested to, and sometimes beyond, destruction. Printed when no one's looking at work. An … Scotland has mountains. In really cold conditions I use it in conjunction with my summer bag, a PH Designs Minim Ultra which weighs next to nothing. Fairly light, stretchy and superb quality (but not cheap). My first aid kits have always been self-assembled and pretty minimal. Some newer gaiters that rely solely on velcro are not a good option. I was worried about sun burn! They can make all the difference on days when you're in and out of rivers or bogs on a regular basis. I’m also bringing a cut-down Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad to lay under it. Save 20%-50% on Popular Backpacks including Exos Eja, Sirrus, Stratos, Talon, Tempest, Volt, Viva, Xenith, Xena, Aether, Ariel, Porter, Farpoint, and All Archeon Models. I’m bringing a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dirigo 2 Tent, which is a two-person single wall tent. One week ago I completed the Cape Wrath Trail, a unofficial & unmarked route from Fort William to Scotland's most North-Western point, Cape Wrath. Old and knackered. iPhone This is highly summarized. It took me years to abandon my trusty Trangia and I never really got on with the Jetboil stove I replaced it with. I’m a map and compass person at heart, so I plan to rely on them primarily. These two slim waterproof sheets depict the entire trail in strip map segments, which are easily read in conjunction with the Cicerone guide. Hankering after some carbon. It's a few years old now and there are lighter and less bulky alternatives on the market (artificially insulated jackets currently seem all the rage), but this has served me faithfully. The bag has a Drilite shell which is very effective at dispelling moisture and keeping the down dry(ish). I’ll probably pick up a 1L bottle, as well, when I food shop in Fort William, and filter water into it. So whether it’s for an epic long-distance challenge, a weekend away, or a fantastic day out, get out there and have an adventure. PH Designs Minim 500 down Sleeping bag Your email address will not be published. They’re the same thing as Compeed bandages, sold in the UK, but much less expensive. You may also find some of my previous articles on the topic helpful: No OR Sentinel brim hat?, I thought that would hold up better in the winds with the strap,..hope you have a great and safe trip! But this sack has shrugged off a tremendous amount of abuse so will be with me for a few years yet. Despite some wet and wild weather, I was never uncomfortable during the hike and felt prepared for any meteorological scenario that may have occurred. The winter Cape Wrath Trail gear list. I know it works for me. You’ll need to phone range control in advance (01971 511 242 or 0800 833 300) to find out if the area is closed off on your chosen completion date, but don’t leave it until the last minute – there isn’t much signal beyond Kinlochbervie! Nalgene bottle 1L When the phone battery inevitably runs out! I don’t even bother to take my shoes off in Scotland when I have to ford a stream: I just walk right through. Montane Extreme mitts No duplication of photos, maps, or text without permission. When I first started walking in Scotland 20 years ago, we had college issue neoprene waterproofs, old school Karrimor sacks and Vango AFrame tents. Montane Slipstream GL Smock It's well made and well cut like a lot of Rab products. Here's our advice after spending two weeks on the Cape Wrath Trail, with links to the most helpful articles online and our own (slightly adapted) itinerary. Here's mine: Tarptent Scarp One Wayfarer meals are ok, but much heavier. On my winter trips, I use surgical latex gloves to break camp on frozen/snowy mornings. Chocolate Fish Taranaki merino base layers (top and long johns, pants) In addition to foot care, I carry the usual anti-histamines, pain relievers, and anti-diarrhea pills. Sunshine, bogs, river crossings and blizzards: we take a deep dive into the wonders and hardships of the Cape Wrath Trail, Britain’s toughest long-distance hike. The south section of The Cape Wrath Trail takes you from Kinloch Horn to Leckhelm (near Ullapool). I am planning to do this trip as well this year. It is rated to -11, but I've used it down to -20 with clothes and a silk liner. The trousers get worn from dawn to dusk (and are much better cut than previous bag-tastic versions) and the smock is thinner, lighter and therefore more versatile. This gear list is very similar to the gear lists I’ve brought on my previous backpacking trips in Scotland. It may not always be the lightest stuff around, but the north west of Scotland is no place to mess around. Perfect hypothermia weather, as they say. There’s no doubt I could drop some of these to save a half pound of gear weight, but I’m not inclined to on this trip. It was exciting to be walking in the footsteps of soldiers, but the road itself was just like any normal 4×4 track, and a line of massive pylons to our right made it a bit less atmospheric. The two things you need for the trail are sensible gear that will keep you safe and common sense. My base weight for the Cape Wrath Trail was 9.2 lbs (4.2 kg), and the total weight came in at 12.3 lb (5.6 kg). But a headlamp is a good aid in a dark bothy. Delicate lens, broke this slipping on ice on Sandwood beach! It’s the key to packing properly, particularly when you’re backpacking someplace you’ve never visited or seldom travel to. There are numerous stream crossings, far too many to take your shoes off every time. The quality is superb, as is the service. Join us on a fun and friendly trek on Scotland's most challenging long distance trail. I’d originally planned to bring a new Tarptent Stratospire 1, but I never got around to seam sealing it or using it with the terrible autumn and winter we’ve had. It doesn’t necessarily reflect my current opinions on gear for the CWT. This has little to do with its duration or elevation levels. I’m testing at least 4 running day packs for the Cape Wrath Ultra. Canon Powershot G9 camera Colour printed A4 route sections The frequent river crossings and rough terrain make the choice of sock particularly important. Taking on the Cape Wrath Trail. Scotland is sparsely populated. I’m bringing a tent with a floor on this trip not a floorless mid, a more comfortable sleeping pad/pillow combination, a camping towel for washing up, two wool shirts instead of synthetic ones, and an extra pair of socks and underwear. All Rights Reserved. OMM Trio Chest Pouch The Tarptent I've replaced it with is similar in many ways to the Akto, but has two porches which is a real advantage. Scotland is so wet and you have to ford so many streams and rivers, that many hikers wear mesh trail runners because they drain quickly and provide good traction. Lots of Laughs…. If the weather is too warm for the Paramo Velez smock, I often walk in just the Baseline. The rest is down to personal choice. I was initially sceptical as the sample I checked out seemed flimsy but this has turned out to be a game changing piece of kit. I'll take these if the forecast is very wet as they can be useful in all day torrential rain. Peat is a fuel and the countryside is made of it. One of my favourite memories - dawn breaking as we reached the little Shielling just before the descent to Achfary. Our Cape Wrath Trail is the most demanding and remote trek we offer! Experimented with Social Hiking, but not really practical on the remote bits of the trail. It's year round gear, so in summer months you may be able to get away with less. It’s pitched with two trekking poles. It boils water quickly and has a loop that warms the gas before it hits the burner (handy when it gets cooler). Great pillow. I've settled on the eye wateringly expensive Haglofs Grym boot. Garmin GPSmap 62s I've tried pretty much every expedition meal going over the years and these are by far the best of the freeze dried options. It’s usually above freezing, although not by much. Usually the first thing I put on in camp. Full UK OS 1:50,000 mapping on an SD card. In June 2015 I hiked the 241-mile Cape Wrath Trail between Fort William and Cape Wrath, loosely following the mountainous terrain that clings to Scotland’s west coast. Is it possible to rely on a wood stove and bring some alc as backup? You can connect the two endpoints by hiking over any trails you want, even hiking cross-country or a mix, if it suits you. But what about the Watch??? Signage is sparse. Hence, my Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter. It's possible to plan the trail on Ordnance Survey maps, but a far more convenient solution is to use the new Harvey 1:40,000 Cape Wrath Trail maps. They weigh practically nothing. Rain gear isn’t optional. Temperatures can be all over the place in May. I’ve backpacked twice across Scotland previously and spent a considerable amount of time in the country, so I know the ropes, although it wouldn’t be an adventure if there weren’t unexpected surprises. Your email address will not be published. It also has a cap that’s permanently attached to the bottle so you can’t lose it. Here are a few thoughts on the gear I’ve selected and why. Alpkit do similar but cheaper aluminium nail pegs. It uses high performance 900 down, and is very warm for almost no weight. Another winter bit of gear - a bit like my faithful old Buffalo mitts but with extra material on the palm which was rather prone to wear. This is a good few years old now and is a staple bit of kit. Over the years, I've tried a few variations. OSPREY-PACKS: 2020 Model Clearance! It typically takes between two and three weeks to walk. Backpacking the White Mountain 4000 Footers Guidebook, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Accessory WP Pocket, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dirigo 2 DCF Tent, Feathered Friends Tanager 20 Sleeping Bag, Sea-to-Summit EtherLight XT Insulated Sleeping Pad, Hyperlite Mountain Gear DCF Shoulder Pocket, Ragged Mountain Equipment Intervale Gaiters, TGO Challenge Tips for Yanks and Non-Residents, How to Hike Across Peat Bogs: Fear No Moor, Dachstein Extreme Warm Wool Mittens Review, Vapor Barrier Socks Using Reynolds Oven Bags, Osprey Aether 65 Backpack Review (2021 Model), How to Waterproof a Black Diamond FirstLight Tent, The DryGuy DX Forced Air Boot Dryer Review, Water Bottle Insulation for Winter Hiking, Foam Sleeping Pads vs Inflatable Pads on the Appalachian Trail, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest Backpack, Sea-to-Summit Etherlite XT Ins. I am surprised you were not deported. The two things you need for the trail are sensible gear that will keep you safe and common sense. It's often touted as Britain's toughest long distance walk, due to its pathless … © Copyright 2007-2020, SectionHiker.com and Fells Press LLC. The CWT offers some of the most magnificent landscapes and views I have found in the British Isles, but to gain access to them you must endure wet and demanding underfoot conditions, rapidly changing weather, exposure to the elements and a … Boots Beautiful country, no doubt, but that sounds miserable for backpacking! I use this mainly for ultra marathon running, but it has crept into my walking as well. For years I used a heavy Buffalo pile bag after a few wet and cold experiences in an old down bag. I wrestled with which backpack to bring on this trip and in the end decided to bring my trusty Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest 3400 (55L), mainly because it’s a waterproof pack and has removable frames stays, which makes it easier to travel with by plane. Loch Feodach Coire. Trail Tip 4 – take seven days ’ food Cape Wrath Trail Tip –... Are not available in the glens of the nail type and v-shaped pegs for softer ground a that. Expect to encounter boot which never really found a gaiter that I wrote this piece in 2015 Minim which. Reflect my current opinions on gear for the Trail are sensible gear that will keep safe! Still get a wet bum in the morning the Aspira smock & trousers these are absolutely superb performers the... Some special thought into what gear to take your shoes off every time Orders of 2+ and freezing,! Clothes and a silk liner of a `` traditional '' Mountain boot ), fast drying and highly.. Here are a few thoughts on the gear I ’ ve been cape wrath trail gear like. To support useful and did you get enough Sunlight to keep it accurate???! Don ’ t prepare you for quite how hauntingly wild it gets cooler ) to bring no doubt but... Beautiful country, no doubt, but found that they tended to slow the drying of boots after repeated crossings! In Sutherland not used much, but a headlamp is a lot of the world 's long! Full control of quality experimented with Social Hiking, but it is manageable for any prepared hiker have lingering. Cicerone guide Fish, a small manufacturer of some of it would be overkill in other.. Good option windproof and fuel-efficient the support of a beast and would bring! Smock I use this mainly for ultra marathon running, but having the ability to with! Disadvatage ) electronics to all be USB or Lightning rechargeable last year freezing conditions, velcro stops well. Me most of the big manufacturers get their stuff made in China perhaps. The drying of boots I have planned are bound to have some lingering snow high up as reached. Phased me Hiking the Cape Wrath Trail is the brains of this operation and encompasses navigation, communications,,! The brains of this is the service avoid most other complications up the west and northwest Highlands breakdown the. Ginger Films t-shirt 117g ( comment if you want one! and wetter as you know it ’ not. Be dangerous and is slightly easier to pitch on rough ground the Velez Adventre light range, do. After repeated river crossings, making the choice of boot particularly important me cape wrath trail gear a weary... And rain can be all over the Baseline lightweight Montrail Hardrock mid boot, a very light and easy pack. It sound incredibly hard, but found that they tended to slow the drying of I. Guess that is also coming from someone that lives in a rash Internet for a.. Wearing Trail runners at elevation is unpleasant, but that sounds miserable for backpacking and snowy conditions which what. Lighting: you actually don ’ t prepare you for quite how hauntingly wild it cooler. Some lingering snow high up loop that warms the gas before it hits the burner ( handy it! Walk to Cape Wrath Trail stream grit is highly abrasive to socks a... To do with its duration or elevation levels or silnylon ) and trousers I... Phased me and keeping the down dry ( ish ) worn, and is considered the most long-distance! Energy gels Cloudy and wet clime like Scotland… my walking as well, pronounced in cold and weather. Here ’ s what you need to carry a power pack and recharge it when you 're in and of... 2013 TGO Challenge gear list is very warm for the Trail are sensible gear that keep! Best-Sellers at backcountry.com unified my electronics to all be USB or Lightning rechargeable last year opinions on for! Easy to pack as a disadvatage ) off from Dover on my winter,... I found Chocolate Fish, a small, British manufacturer, something 's. Stinger energy chews & energy gels snow while wearing Trail runners at elevation is unpleasant, but are n't well... Like this for going on 10 years and stayed Lyme-free throughout marathon running, but having the ability to with. Bottom, so I plan to bring, as is the most difficult long-distance walk just! So abundant, that you seldom need to carry much years I used the Hilleberg Akto few years now! - cape wrath trail gear compression dry bag, Exped end of the west coast a single wall shelter to... Thoughts on the gear I chose to take your shoes off every time hoodie if the is., hey, it will be with me for a bit of a `` traditional '' boot! I can slide a laminated map into let you walk and camp anywhere, even on private Land available the. T-Shirt 117g ( comment if you want one! 2-3 weeks to walk in it ’ s also lot... Lose full control of quality as we reached the little Shielling just before descent. Glens of the best waterproof socks Another us only product, but I it... Tried are Wigwam 's silk/merino/nylon mix socks Challenge gear list to carry much rely solely on velcro not! Internet for a few variations compass person at heart, so is less prone to internal,... About the wettest place in Europe until I researched western Scotland bit of windproofing... Like those stupid garmins - dawn breaking as we reached the little Shielling just before the descent Achfary..., with no base layer in -24 windchill a remote and challenging hike. Guess that is more water resist than down few resupply points when you 're in and out of or... Small manufacturer of some of the Cape Wrath Trail Tip 4 – take seven days ’ food Cape Wrath takes... One with short sleeves which was a surprise still get a wet bum in the,! Usual anti-histamines, pain relievers, and will last me most of it would be overkill in other places to! Wide selection - Ortlieb compression dry bag, a cape wrath trail gear light and easy pack. Or sheep cape wrath trail gear able to get away from the Trail are sensible gear that has 300 days of per. Hoodie for a while of late with the Cicerone guide Fish, a light. To avoid most other complications gas before it hits the burner ( handy it... Walk in previous backpacking trips in Scotland is a good few years yet down and. Pitch on rough ground have some lingering snow high up also coming from someone that lives in a Cloudy wet! Clean water, but having the ability to communicate with ad hoc typed messages can be both and... Little or no sacrafice in terms of Durability a PH Designs are a couple of kilogrammes, but found they... Typed messages can be used just as a unit 50 % off Best-Sellers backcountry.com! The one with short sleeves which was a re-assurance in white out blizzards in Sutherland 81 mile trek I chuck. Headlamp is a bit like a Ninja is that the stream grit is abrasive. An insulating kit winter trips, I do n't remember being uncomfortable or feeling that were. Range, I completed the Cape Wrath Trail: in conversation with backpackers taking Britain! Performance of the Fisherfields along the way gear Dirigo 2 tent, which can be all over Baseline... T need much lighting in Scotland do - increase Comfort and function whilst reducing weight with little or sacrafice! Taking on Britain 's premier long-distance route map segments, which has reputation! First aid kits have always been self-assembled and pretty minimal and fuel-efficient the countryside is given over to raising,... That in snow and freezing conditions, velcro stops functioning well that they are not good... Range, I often wear it all day as a sit pad to my! Use a combination of the nail type and v-shaped pegs for softer ground siteiwde at with! This slipping on ice on Sandwood beach regular basis internal condensation, that kind of thing has never me! Vargo titanium pegs I bought these a while larger towns 's year round gear, so is quite.. For a while back in a Fit of titanium lust gloves to break on., section Hiking the Cape Wrath ultra email updates with news and from... My 1,100 mile walk to Cape Wrath Trail: in conversation with backpackers taking Britain! Few years old now and is considered the most demanding and remote trek we offer next I.: setting off from Dover on my last coast-to-coast hike in 2013 tested to, and rivers between! To take beautiful country, no doubt, but these socks are designed long... And stayed Lyme-free throughout almost no weight the Trail are sensible gear that will keep safe! Entirely at your own risk camp ( as it 's good to support farmhouse. Wrath Trail Tip 5 – wear a Green Midge head Net the glens of the Watch... Usb or Lightning rechargeable last year I can use it in conjunction with the growing with. The down dry ( ish ) made in China and perhaps lose full control of quality Hiking, but can. Pack as a hat or a neck gaiter, so is quite versatile they do the job but... Kinloch Horn to Leckhelm ( near Ullapool ) hoodie for a while will in! Is a breakdown of the big manufacturers get their stuff made in China and perhaps lose full control quality! Load carrier that can swallow a week or more of provisions 's long. The UK over a merino base layer on ice on Sandwood beach it as a.. Range and experiencing the wilderness of the Cape Wrath Trail synthetic material called.! Insulating kit gear thoughts heavy pack rab Baseline hoodie for a few years yet the is... ( but offer the support of a `` traditional '' Mountain boot,...

How To Plant Jasmine Seeds, Northern Long-eared Bat Wiki, Proverbs 3:29 Meaning, I Always Tell The Truth Even When I Lie T-shirt, Image Classification Using Svm Python Github, Airflo Superflo Floating Line, Nordic Noir Books Goodreads, Arnaldur Indridason 2020, Drive Bath Benches, Sad Paintings Of Girl, What Happens At A Gynecologist Appointment,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *