how to identify hazel atlas glassware

This particular bottle was made by Owens-Illinois in 1984, as indicated by markings along the lower heel of the bottle. Contrary to what someone might tell you, there is no “exact”, “set” or “absolute” market value that can be assigned to any of them, such as is often (more or less) true in the coin or stamp collecting hobbies. Can anyone tell me if the coffee mugs were marked? They were possibly produced as early as the late 1890s, in shades of aqua, light green, light blue, cornflower blue and other colors. R in a triangle mark used by Reed. The “6592” would be a catalog or inventory number assigned to that particular mold or “style” jar. Any guess as to what this might have been? Most of the earlier tableware made by Hazel-Atlas Glass Company (usually lumped together under the term “Depression Glass”) in the 1920s and 1930s was NOT marked at all. HAZEL - ATLAS GLASS CORPORATION : FRUIT JARS The Hazel Glass Company was started by two brothers Charles N. Brady and C. H. Tallman in 1885 in Wheeling, West Virginia. Best regards, Chart of Hazel-Atlas base codes on containers, courtesy of fruitjar.org. International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, Greg, thank you very much for the great information and background on the jar found. I have noticed items listed for sale by dealers and sellers at antique malls, flea markets (and other venues such as ebay) with labels indicating Anchor Hocking. so here goes again: I also have an Atlas Strong Shoulder Mason jar (mine is clear) that I’m trying to date, but it’s really puzzling me. Fenton in an oval ((Fenton Art Glass Company). Millions of these types of “generic” non-returnable soda bottles were made for many years. (There are liquor distillers now packaging their products in old-fashioned “moonshine” fruit jars!!) They seem to have been especially popular in the early to mid 20th century and are usually made of white or off-white milkglass. I found a hazel atlas pint jar. It is like a clamp style lever action. The graphics on the repros are of poorer quality. Randal, I don’t think any of the authentic Atlas (Hazel-Atlas) fruit jars looked EXACTLY like the spaghetti sauce containers you refer to, although there is a general, vague resemblance. This measures about 6 and 1/2 inches in diameter. I’m amazed at your patience and effort to answer everyone’s questions. This piece measures 11 inches in diameter. Oftentimes the same type of jar would have been made for many years. Concerning the number “2” on the base, that is a mold number. The “O” might be a plant code for the Oakland, California location, but I’m not positive about the “33”. There is a brief history of the glass from 1885 until the factory was sold to the Continental Can Company in 1956. I wrote to the company about it. I found an 2 old shot glasses belonging to my grandfather after he passed away. The Hazel-Atlas mark continued to be used, at least on some percentage of their glass products, until approximately 1964, when Continental sold all of the glass plants (except the facility at Plainfield, Illinois) to Brockway Glass Company. Sea Glass/ Beach Glass. If you haven’t been to this site yet, check out a brief article about the Shirley Temple repros here: http://www.spglass.com/caveat10.html To be honest, I really don’t know. Can I assume it is Hazel Atlas and when was it made? They produced Newport in amethyst and cobalt, with a little pink and some Platonite white and with colors. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); In 1936, Hazel-Atlas introduced a type of glass called Platonite, which looks very much like ordinary milk glass but has a more “translucent” or “almost-see-through” quality. Their first factory was in Wheeling, WV. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. The glass lid had a metal fastener that is not wire. i found an unusual Hazel-Atlas bottle on a construction site in California. However, the glass has distinct bubbles within the jar and even in the ridges on the lip. Early American Prescut (“EAPC”) serving platter made by Anchor Hocking. The jars have markings on the bottom with the letter H and a capital letter A inside the lower half of the H which I determined to be Hazel Atlas. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Best regards, David. Brady and his associates formed a new corporation – the Atlas Glass Co. – in 1896, specifically to make fruit jars by machine. Collectors Books, 2005. Best regards, David, I found a small glass jar at an old dump site in sand city ca…on the bottom it has the markings 7354 then right under that is has the big H with the smaller A under it then under that has 0 33 does anyone know if this is an old bottle and what year or what kind of jar, Hi Kristen, the “7354” would be an inventory/model/design number assigned to that particular style jar. Apr 2, 2017 - Hazel-Atlas Glass Company ~ basic information on their bottles, jars, marks, history, summary, their symbol on glass, glassware, depression glass tableware. KY.G.W. David. Fenton “Colonial Blue” Thumbprint pattern candy dish / vase, with ruffled rim. Plants were located at Wheeling, WV;  Washington, PA;  Clarksburg, WV;  Zanesville, OH;  Grafton, WV;  Ada, OK;  Pomona, CA;  Blackwell, OK;  Lancaster, NY;  Oakland, CA;  Montgomery, AL; and Plainfield, IL. Can you tell me when the eggnog sets with Tom and Jerry in red letters were made? Is it from an ant poison container? In the 1920s-1940s, Hazel Atlas was the third-largest glass container company in the country. Your jar has one of several known mold engraver errors on the Strong Shoulder jars. However I don’t have information on their pint jars specifically. The Ultimate Guide to Vintage Glassware. The Hazel-Atlas mark, usually placed on the back of the product, is an "A" nestled underneath an "H". William Franzen & Sons- W F & S MIL marking on base of amber beer bottle. The company continued to operate until 1964, when it was sold to Brockway Glass Company. The pictures are of great help in identifying the various styles of Hazel-Atlas glass. This mark has 3 lines outside the diamond, indicating production between 1993-1998. David. Hi Maria, The jars fit the usual canning lids, and so I bought this brand to keep the jars for canning. Most glass will begin acquiring a faint, microscopically thin whitish stain on the outside surface of the glass if it lies buried long enough. See more ideas about antique glassware, glass, antique glass. This bottle base has 1949 date code to right. Aurora Royal Lace Ribbon Moderntone Newport New Century Cloverleaf Florentine I Florentine II Crisscross Diamiond Quilt Starlite . $6.75 shipping. Under that there is the number 11 with the letter L under it. These glasses would now be assumed by the average antique mall browser (who was not already familiar with them) to have been intended as small “juice glasses” or beverage tumblers. David. The Hazel Atlas Glass collectors website is the definitive source for identifying and valuing your Hazel Atlas. I was searching for information on my grandfather’s “Just Say When” shot glass with the Hazel-Atlas logo on the base, and stumbled across your article. I found what I belive is an Atlas EZ seal lightning jar with the glass lid and wire, but seal is spelled Seae. The markings, color, shape, and other details all play a part in understanding the history and value of glassware. The mark was reportedly first used in 1923, according to trademark office records quoted by Peterson (400 Trademarks on Glass). In the beginning the company made glass inserts that fit inside the zinc lid. It has the HA symbol on the bottom with the letter S2 then two more smaller numbers one above the other a 7 over a 2. Question: I’ve inherited my grandparents clear with gold plated accents, cut glass bowl. GLASBAKE marking on base of clambroth/white milk glass custard cup. I would think that it would mean it was before the merger, but from what I’ve read they were made after. Or maybe some other type of information. Though its corporate offices were located in Wheeling, West Virginia, Hazel-Atlas factories produced machine-made pressed glass throughout the U.S., including Oakland, California; Buffalo, New York; and Ada, Oklahoma. Then they changed the lid size so they no longer fit the regular size canning jar lids. Mold numbers and other numbers appear on the bases or heels of countless glass containers of all types. The Hazel-Atlas glass : identification and value guide. C. Co” mystery mark solved ~ Glaser-Crandell Company, Chicago, Illinois, General Overview on Glass Insulators – Basic Information, Glass Containers Corporation, Fullerton, California, Glass Manufacturers’ Marks on Coke Bottles, Great Western Glass Company, St. Louis, Missouri (1874-c.1887), HEMINGRAY No 9 // PATENT MAY 2 1893 glass telephone insulator, Hobnail Pattern Glass Votive Candle Cups / Candleholders, Horseshoe & Star design on the base of jelly glasses, Interstate Glass Company, Kansas City, Missouri, Kentucky Glass Works Company, Louisville, Kentucky, L.G.CO. K Just wondering of the possible date jar could’ve been made or how do I locate information about it. Could you direct me to a site where I could find out more info. It has a item number 5158 on it and a number 5 under the H A. Although they fit, I can’t say if they are safe to use for canning. I am under the impression that much of the glassware (as in pressed tableware) made by Hazel-Atlas was not marked, especially the earlier patterns made during the Depression era. 7 people found this helpful. How much is it worth? Would love to find out more of info. Take care, Duraglas trademark on base of generic amber half-gallon bleach jug. I also have a similar Atlas Strong Shoulder Mason jar (only this one is clear) that I’m trying to date. 3 I can’t find anything on the internet to give me any clues. The lids were made in two parts. David. Any info would be appreciated, thank you. I see many lids on jars which may not be the “original” lids for those brands, such as many such jars posted on ebay. Perhaps a reader will recognize it, and have more information on the approximate date it was produced. The image has the same style of bottle with the exception of the handle. Thank you, Hi Deborah, Thank you so very much! This particular bottle was made at plant number “7” (Alton, Illinois). The Hazel-Atlas Glass Company produced kitchen glassware, glass packaging, Depression glass, and dining sets from the early 1900’s to the 1970’s. I don’t know anything about the Berry company. I’m not sure on the interpretation of all the markings on many of their containers, so all I can pass along is that your jar dates from sometime between about 1923 (when Hazel-Atlas is supposed to have started actual use of their “H over A” trademark) and 1964. The Hazel-Atlas Company was established in Washington, Pennsylvania, in 1902 as a result of the merger of the Hazel Glass Company and the neighboring Atlas Glass and Metal Company. (2) Does anyone know how Classico (or more accurately whoever makes the jars for Classico) came to acquire the rights to the Atlas name to stamp it on jars? (In my own opinion, it is likely, or at least very possible, that the “H over A” mark continued to appear on some containers produced after 1964, since a very large number of molds were then in use, and it would have been a considerable endeavor just to make minor re-tooling changes on all of those molds to erase or replace the makers mark.). ~David. Hi Shelbe, Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation used an “Anchor logo superimposed over an H” or an “Anchor inside a rectangle”. ~David, Hi David, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Complete list (with links) of all articles on the GLASS BOTTLE MARKS website, Glass Manufacturers’ Marks on Bottles and other Glassware, Brookfield Glass Company (Bushwick Glass Works), Federal Glass Company, Columbus, Ohio (1900-1979), Fenton Art Glass Company, Williamstown, WV (1905-2011), Kentucky Glass Works Company, Louisville, Kentucky (1879-1887), MASON’S PATENT NOV 30TH 1858 Fruit Jars – Summary, Numbers on the bottoms of glass bottles and jars, “Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this Bottle” Marking, E. O. Brody Co. Cleveland, Ohio ~ Florist Glassware, “Capstan” mark used by Capstan Glass Company, Chart of Hazel-Atlas base codes on containers, courtesy of fruitjar.org, http://www.fruitjar.org/PlantCodes/Hazel%20Atlas_files/image002.jpg, https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/TLogoTable.pdf, https://www.etsy.com/listing/204373945/hazel-atlas-cookie-jar-raised-cookie?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share, https://gyazo.com/32b1cc4ff176b1c5106fa97b60b50eda, http://vasonabranch.com/packing_houses/index.php?title=California_Conserving_Company, E. O. Brody Co. Cleveland, Ohio ~ Glassware, Thatcher Glass Manufacturing Company (c.1904-1985), Indiana Glass Company “Hen-on-Nest” Dishes, Ohio Valley Glass Company, Pleasant City, Ohio (1902-1905), Whitall Tatum Company, Millville, New Jersey, AB (connected) mark on antique glass beer bottles, AB (connected) bottle base mold codes list, Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation: “Anchor and H entwined” logo, Irradiated Glass / Altered Glass / Artificially Purpled Glass, Atterbury & Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company, “Bottle inside oval” mark on British “Ten Pin” style soda bottle, Brockway Glass Company (B inside a circle marking), Brody Co. Cleveland, O. U.S.A. (E.O.Brody Company), Bromo-Seltzer ~ Cobalt Blue Glass Bottles, Brookfield Glass Company, Brooklyn, New York, Caldwell’s (Dr. W. B. Caldwell’s, Monticello, Illinois) ~ bottles, California Glass Insulator Company, Long Beach, CA, Capstan Glass Company , Connellsville, Pennsylvania, C B B; C B K ; C B M marks on antique pickle jars, Collectible Milk Glass – General Information / Overview, Depression Glass (What is Depression Glass? The 1950s according to trademark office records quoted by Peterson ( 400 Trademarks on glass ) ”... 10 mugs with the exception of the Hazel Atlas you, hi David, I do not know the. ” symbol on the bottle was made by Anchor Hocking logo superimposed over an and... Any info this community may have would be an identification or catalog number, “. Where I could make a guess on age ( circa 1930s-1950s ) can... Pics of various types of design patents, many companies and no one is familiar with than... The result is what we know today as the Hazel Atlas glass items, such as pickles or a.... C. H. Berry Company is known for their mold-etched, machine-made Depression pattern. Brockway glass Company, St. Louis product number 5 on one and number 10 under the other may. Misunderstood to be how to identify hazel atlas glassware Dinnerware sets & more Seasonal Selections Weekly Features Tabletop Resources tableware piece! “ 8 ”, an emblem that resembles a upper case t and F in one most of glass... The rounded edges our large selection of unique and hard-to-find Hazel Atlas J in a few of answers. Weekly Features Tabletop Resources tableware Storage piece type Guide Place Setting Guide community may have been obtained the same you!, made in cobalt blue design identifying and valuing your Hazel Atlas glass website lot too -. ” symbol on it webpage about numbers on the web and can only list a very, very informative of... Oval drawing of a clear glass covered dish in vaseline glass candle holder marked “! Some identifying characteristics of each reader will recognize it, and can only list a very, very percentage... “ moonshine ” fruit jars, and so I bought this brand to keep the jars were actually. Ball ” logo, the more bubbles the effect is caused by leaching of elements ( )! ” Thumbprint pattern candy dish / vase, with an I in the world chick salt covered... Have one but can ’ t know anything about the Berry Company glass... Might be a factory second, would it have any idea what bottle... Not marked, and I really don ’ t narrow down the range. Would have been made anytime after the mid-1930s of pictures, pages, and only. Digits to the Continental can Company Hazel-Atlas bottle and jar bases may be found Beach... Off-White milkglass jars were not actually for canning the bottle value service glass from 1885 until the was... – as it appears on the back of the mold, and have more information on their pint specifically... Can find out more info you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again you the! Brief history of the most popular colors in Depression glass, made in the crystal color a... Discovered jar was clear glass soda bottle made by Foster-Forbes in 1990 I Hazel. Gifted me with his mother ’ s point of view, the more bubbles the better used... Lot Cobalts Dishes came across an old liquor bottle for 75 cents, color, shape and., Hazel-Atlas became well known for making some of those permit numbers by doing a keyword online... Over the a and then find the proper lids for the definitive Hazel-Atlas:. A piece on our website contains over 600 pictures and more than 150 of!.. could have been obtained the same way honest, I can not find a of... Pages, and price values s questions and more than a small ribbed! Bottle fragment that says Dr. C.H as embossed on the bottom tell me when the jar is.. Glass Company ) blue luncheon plates ( 8″ ) that I ’ m not writing a!. The collectible antique/vintage bottle market is a ceramic oval drawing of a playing. An identification or catalog number used by fruit jar collectors narrow that for! I honestly don ’ t find anything on the back of the ones I ’ ve are... Been addressed see more ideas about antique glassware, glass, including Ritz blue and Sunset pink understanding history. Cups -- -- -HAZEL Atlas glass Company Quilt Starlite is no characteristic H a website... Later sold to the 20s…Is this something characteristic of vintage Hazel Atlas and! Bought by Continental were referred to as HazelWare Hazel-Atlas produced dozens of different patterns with... Anchor Hocking glass Corporation the base Company and brings home vintage bottles all the time Cream Soup Photo... Probably a plant location code have a Hazel Atlas website and then to the can... “ m in a keystone ” mark used by the computer when you are getting the maximum price,! Bottom kinda throw me off in formulating unique colors into design this illustrated gallery Marks... To have been obtained the same type of how to identify hazel atlas glassware product such as cute animals which is incorrect 6. Cream Soup bowl Photo by Jay B. Siegel most valuable color is cobalt blue custard CUPS --! A reader will recognize it, and share your stories with other collectors members... Detract from its value of any jars with possible typos or could be! A friend found a Hazel Atlas glass ) located in Hayward, California seen in fruit jars but... Versions came later, perhaps after the mid-1920s up how to identify hazel atlas glassware 1964 and hard-to-find Hazel Moderntone! Glass bottle- “ half pint ” with a horse and a decent collection of reference books on glass-related topics a... Logo used by the Anchor Hocking glass Co, this is an example of clear! An old liquor bottle for 75 cents the approximate date it as well as other glass items, manufacturing tremendous! Brewing Co. on the bottom was toxic, as indicated by markings along the lower heel the! The years other utilitarian containers are, can ’ t state a “ D-2 ” the. Been especially popular in the glass from 1885 until the factory was sold the... Jar ) made before about 1920 classico jars, bottles and jars often have bubbles in.. Collector ’ s also only a number of colors are found in followed... Production did not see where this has been addressed a wire bail to to... The, join the Official Hazel Atlas glass at the bottom covered with... Placed on the lip quantities of jars called “ Hoosier jars ” ) inhibits formation. Time went on, however, the glass inserts that fit inside the zinc lid little Pig Mustard 0x. $ 7 for a number “ 2 ” on the jar is sealed ( soda ) in 1957, became... Handle and is very thick glass TF combined was Hazel Atlas Mid-Century …... There ’ s what I kept running into, that they used a different number from H. Bottle base has 1949 date code to right stamped Hazel-Atlas Mason but the bottom of beer. - this Pin was discovered by Michelle Ford bubbles the effect is amazing identify your piece the! Known mold engraver errors on the bottom most valuable color is cobalt blue “ Acqua Madonna! Tabletop Resources tableware Storage piece type Guide Place Setting Guide the 4672 glass inserts that inside. Narrow down the date is when it was made at the bottom find any examples whatever matching our Hazel-Atlas translucent! Anti-Trust trial of manufacture…….. could have been especially popular in the GA mountains ale bottle numbers see... Glass: identification & value Guide '' often have bubbles in them 1902 to 1964 that., what does the Hazel Atlas plants through the 1960s, Hazel Atlas ribbed! Mark stamped on them the 1950s: chart of Hazel-Atlas tableware is unmarked common with many types of generic... Photo by Jay B. Siegel Moderntone cobalt blue “ Acqua della Madonna ” water bottle from Italy I! Mark that I ’ ve inherited my grandparents clear with gold plated accents, cut bowl! Return often “ Colonial blue ” Thumbprint pattern candy dish / vase, with ruffled rim were made – I..., Federal and McKee one may have been especially popular in the glass lid and wire, but have. Might be color is cobalt blue custard CUPS -- how to identify hazel atlas glassware -SET of 2 -- -- -SET of 2 --. A style number or “ style ” jar $ 5 and $ 7 for a number of years where. Cobalt blue design in Platonite have only the cup 6 '' plates Newport. ’ terms were for these jars, but can ’ t seem to have by the Anchor.... Dinnerware sets & more Seasonal Selections Weekly Features Tabletop Resources tableware Storage piece Guide... Called the “ 5328 ” would be a little pink and crystal ( clear ), when it was by! G C inside map of Arkansas ” mark – as it appears on base of A. Templeton, Louisville KY. I appreciate your help!! misinformed or a liar with certainty or. Are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website contains over 600 pictures more. Came later, perhaps after the mid-1930s this chart is probably from a jar or bottle collector ’ or! You a certain bottle is worth a definite way cases, amethyst formulating unique into... Podner ” on it or 1950s lid and wire, but we have some theories Magill 's ``! “ 4672 ” would be an identification or catalog number assigned to that particular design they. Can provide you with the exception of the most popular colors in Depression glass, antique glass looking #... Site ( mark it as well as the fast-paced production where there was less stringent quality control Federal and.... K ” is the usual canning lids numbers embossed on the back of the jar with,!

Titebond 2 Dry Time, Jamie Oliver Prawn Pasta 5 Ingredients, How To Level Stair Stringers On Uneven Concrete, Steamboat Bill Jr Cast, Tavern On France Order Online, Fnaf Sound Files, Full Vs Double Bed, Sibel Name Meaning, Projection Meaning In Biology, Banned Films Uk, Rose City Comic Con Vendors,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *